Monday, December 10, 2007

Ennie

My parents never were pet people and so my first pet was a sea monkey. My second were freshwater fish. Now I was lucky to be around many dogs but the one milestone that was acheived by only one dog, was the permittance of Ennie to slobber my face. There was something so disarming about Ennie. In the 6 years I have had the pleasure of growing close with Karina and her faithful dog Ennie, I never once felt any negativity except for a whimper here and there due to hunger (and then Ennie would tell Karina to stop whining and make herself a snack).

This past Thursday Ennie was released from this world which had quickly become one of suffering. I cannot imagine what Karina is going through and I won't till the day my future dog passes onto doggie heaven. The crazy part is that I just saw Ennie 3 weeks ago and while she was getting old, I did not think that would be the last time I ever saw her. I'm glad I gave her some kisses as her record with my visage is yet unbroken. It makes you think about how fleeting our time is. Do we throw caution to the wind and live unregretful or do we hold those that we love close to ourselves and never let go?

It's crazy because now that I think about it, Ennie is the closest living being to die in my life. Ennie was a good dog and she set the standard for love that I seek in my dog-to-be.

Rest in peace lady. You will be missed greatly.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you V. I miss her so much but know that she is in a better place than she was days before she left us. As they say, all dogs run in heaven. She will live in all of our hearts and memories.

Love you.

vivek said...

vipster true story: a few years ago i baby-sitted ennie when karina was outta town. one day i took her for a walk and got some fat chick's number (never called her though).

ennie, i never met a dog quite like you. thank you for being awesome - you are a special gift to us all.

stay beautiful up there.

Unknown said...

A distinguished ode to a most-distinguished animal. For many- myself included- those joyful, gyrating greetings played a huge part in Ennie being the beloved and disarming dog that she was. With her relaxed sighs, wiggling butt, or excited snorts, Ennie could always show you exactly how she felt.

The tongue-that-never-fit will forever put smiles on all of our faces. Enz, we love you and will sorely miss you.

Karina, know we're all keeping you both close in our thoughts.