Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Wet. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Learn to walk. Learn to talk. Go to elementary school. Graduate. Go to high school. Graduate. Go to college. Graduate. Get a job. Go back to school. Graduate. Go back to work. Get married somewhere in between. Have kids. Watch them graduate as you move towards graduating to the afterlife. This seems to be the prevalent pattern in the land of the free. Granted things are always changing, most parents would love if their kid followed some semblance of the aforementioned path.

According to the Encyclopedia Britanica Life Map, grad school is my next step. I've tried to steel myself into only going back to do something that not only interests me but is also viable....what a mindfuck......only the extremely lucky and rare assholes actually jump out of bed to a million dollar job of getting head all day or something similarly awesome. The rest of us just wanna be comfortable. Though one may find comfort in a car while another finds comfort in hiking. Whatever IT is, IT probably takes money to get or at least enjoy while your rent, electricity, and gas bills are paid.

So here lies my conundrum. Business or Psychology. Psychology is something I have been attuned to for most of my life. Business is something I have a knack for and it is obviously financially rewarding. Both can be lucrative so I am going to my second line of criteria which is gauged impact upon the world. I don't entertain any notions of becoming a Peace Corp worker but I do think I can legitimately affect things. The question is do I take the high road and attempt some trickle down economics through a MBA or do I fight the good fight in the trenches with a Psychology degree.

What strikes me is how pervasive business is in this country. Most major decisions these days are backed by lobbyists and such. For example: the biggest reason why we are about to get fucked with a terrorist bomb in our ass is because of oil. We bitch when gas goes to $3.30/gallon when people in Europe pay $6/liter. Now everyone and their mother is singing about alternative fuels. The kicker is that we had electric cars 100 YEARS AGO!!!!!!! You're telling me that a fuckin century has gone by and gas companies had nothing to do with supressing the technology. It is frustrating and makes me want to be idealistic and work the system from the inside out.

The flipside of that coin is doing Counseling Psych where I could work is in schools and hosptials as well as have my own private practice. This appeals to me because it is a mindset that comes naturally. I enjoy it and the bottom line would not be a company's profit margins but rather someone's well being.

I need more sleep.

7 comments:

Brendan (Bernard) said...

me too

katie awesome said...

there's some old proverb, "figure out what you love to do and you'll never work a day in your life," or something to that effect....so i say choose the one that allows you to live your life with that in mind.

i'm still trying to figure out how to do it for myself, but you have to start somewhere. so i'm glad we're starting together.

vivek said...

i made a decision to become a scientist.

now i can purify street blow!!!!

YAAAY (yo)!!!!!

no for real, i fully appreciate your predicament, because i was there. partly it just falls in place, but mostly you gotta bite the bullet.

Tish the Dish said...

i guess we can never be too certain which pond to dip our toes in but it's the whole "the grass is always greener on the other side" theory...which i suppose means we should just pick which shade of green we prefer...at the moment i have decided i like the shades of lime & margarita & hunter & forest & pea & kelly & olive...so...i guess that means i'm another kid nearing the end of her 20's wondering which fence i am meant to hop next... ;)
in the meantime: get some sleep
xo

vivek said...

natasha, you can hop my fence any day.

Bryce said...

luckily my life's calling involves cupcakes and dick jokes, so i'm all set.

Unknown said...

i just read something about a new major: "business psychology." i'm not kidding! i don't even know what that means, but it might fit, might be worth looking in to. :)

otherwise, i agree w katie.